Reports To: Director of Supply Chain
FLSA Status: Exempt
Manufacturer of large specialty fasteners and forgings used in Heavy Construction, Infrastructure, Power Generation, and General Distribution.
The buyer/planner manages an expenditure base of $20 million per year for materials and/or services to support the company’s purchasing programs. The buyer/planner is responsible for source selection and procurement functions directly associated with the company’s needs for indirect raw materials, tooling, production materials, MRO supplies and services. These products and services are to be secured with professionalism to meet the standards of quality, delivery and cost consistent with company policy and performance standards.
- Initiates purchase orders and amendments for parts, services and/or special tools; arranges for submission and inspection of sample products as required; maintains close coordination with plant engineering to ensure timely execution of product and services sourcing activities.
- Secures and analyzes quotations, negotiates prices and terms with suppliers, and recommends suppliers with respect to cost, quality and delivery competitiveness for assigned responsibilities.
- Works closely with materials group and production to advance enterprise-wide sourcing programs as appropriate.
- Studies market prices and trends, engineering developments, and manufacturing method improvements applicable to assigned responsibilities; advises company activities with concurrence of the Director of Supply Chain.
- Interviews and confers with current and prospective suppliers to determine supply capabilities, transportation logistics, inventory control and management
- Coordinates as appropriate quality matters and engineering changes/developments between company activities and suppliers.
- Organizes and implements with direction from the Director of Supply Chain to accomplish small business and disadvantaged business sourcing programs consistent with company guidelines.
- Works closely with accounts payable to confirm and approve invoicing.
- Visits suppliers’ facilities to qualify them as new sources and assists in the resolution of production, design, quality and/or delivery problems.
- Reviews and coordinates VMI with suppliers for accuracy.
- Financial Management.
- Organizational Skills.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Technical Capacity.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Project Management.
- Time Management.
- ERP business system
- Microsoft Office suite
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This is a sedentary role; however, some filing is required, and the office supply stock room requires managing. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to twenty pounds and
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Travel is primarily local during the business day.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or relevant experience with emphasis in business administration, economics or technical degree with two years of progressively responsible purchasing and materials control experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Familiarity – experience in materials for the fastener and/or forging industries.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
If you are interested in this position please apply below: